Saturday, January 19, 2008

Loving the Unlovely

Self-esteem, however highly touted, means nothing if one is entirely alone. What good is self-love among the truly unloved? The popular saying "I am enough!" is utter rubbish. Just ask anyone who has no-one. We were not created to be alone; value and meaning is derived from the context of meaningful relationship.

True self-love, or self-esteem, rather than a result of psychological discipline and positive thinking, is a product of actually being loved and esteemed. The power of self-love is not rooted in the self at all. The power of true self-esteem is external and objective. I can love and accept those less lovely aspects of myself only because those aspects of myself are, in actuality, loved and accepted. Because I am loved I am therefore lovable...irrespective of my opinion.

"Love comes from God...

We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in him.
God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them. And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect...


We love Him because He first loved us." - 1 John 4:7, 16, 19

Our ability to love ourselves as we are is found in our willingness to allow ourselves to be loved as we are. Love comes from God.

No comments: