Monday, January 28, 2008

Rags to Riches

"Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked—I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me." - Rev 3:17-20


We always associate the image of Jesus knocking on the door of the sinners heart as an invitation for unbelievers and yet forget the imagery was intended to represent Jesus as knocking on the hearts of believers to wake them up to the fact that they could no longer feel their true brokenness because of their spiritual pride. Here is Jesus asking permission from us to enter our woundedness and helplessness. We are so reluctant to admit that we hurt and can’t fix ourselves and yet that is what qualifies our need for a Saviour.

It is interesting to note that what kept them removed form the true reality of their spiritual poverty was their trust in, and focus on, that which they perceived as their "riches". It was their focus on what they thought were their strengths, their dependence on what their hands had accomplished for them, that served to distract them from their inherit and inescapable neediness. It was prosperity that anesthetized their perception of need.

Also very revealing is the fact that Jesus lets them know that in the absence of their self-dependent facade He would provide real riches and clothing so that, "that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed". This is evidence that what we trust in, what we consider riches, actually serves to protect us from being exposed as naked and shameful. We cling to "riches" because we fear shame. Yet we fear shame because we believe our acceptability depends on our own merit and ability.

"Therefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong." - 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

"Yet whatever gains I had, these I have come to regard as loss because of Christ. More than that, I regard everything as loss because of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and I regard them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but one that comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God based on faith. " Phillipans 3:7-9

No comments: